Sunday, September 28, 2008

who's line...

For those of you not familiar with our church, each Sunday members of the ward are asked to speak. The bishop assigns a topic and the talk is usually about 15 minutes long. Not too bad, and the speaker usually learns a lot in preparing and its always fun to get to know the members of the ward more. Also we grow up doing it so we are used to public speaking which is kinda nice:)
A couple weeks ago Chad got a call for him to speak this week on how to prepare for general conference. I asked him "that seems weird, they only asked you? I don't have to speak?" (typically married couples both speak) He told me, that I didn't have to, they said just Chad. Apparently somewhere down the line of communication things got confused...cause this is what our program said today. If you will notice my name IS in fact on the program. HA! So the bishopric was very apologetic...and had me give a little spiritual thought and testimony:) Which was no biggie but just kind of a funny way to start my Sunday!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

That would be a surprise! Hopefully they count it as your talk so you're good for a couple years!

By the way, do you really have a Youngberg in your ward?

kaitlyn said...

I would have totally FREAKED. Probably pee my skirt and cry and turn red all at the same time. good for you for handling it like a champ

Brianne said...

No way. At least they realized that it was their mistake and didn't think you were trying to get out of it at the last minute :-).

Holly said...

Haha! They actually don't have couples speak together in our ward. It's nice because when they asked just me to speak, I knew I didn't have to fight over the computer and practice time with Mark.

By the way, it sounds like you need a baby gate. I saw Beth and Scott's note about getting one at walmart. We have 2 baby gates--a $20 one from walmart (Supergate III) and a SafetyFirst from Sears ($75 I think). The cheapo one is at the bottom of the stairs and the first one we bought. It works ok for now but there are a lot more cons to it than pros. We originally wanted 2--one for the top and one for the bottom. Although the SG says it works for the top of the stairs--It wasn't going to work for us. The SG has holes in it that noah has figured out how to climb. Also, it has a plastic locking mechanism which is already starting to wear down (we've only had it 2 months!) We just got our second one for the top and it is way better and worth the money. Its metal and has vertical bars. And you can open and close it with one hand (while your baby is being held in the other). Anyway, long comment, sorry! call if you want to discuss in more detail--I had a hard time sifting thru all the reviews of baby gates from online.

The Jensen Family said...

I think I would have died and Brian would have been in the dog house if that happened to me! You are definitely more poised then I am!

April said...

Crazy! That would have completely terrified me, you are way more brave than I am! I am sure the rest of your ward got a good laugh out of that one! By the way thanks for your great comment on Relief Society, I wish we were in the same ward together.
April

Krista & Tyler said...

So, they just split our ward and released the whole entire RS presidency-the bishop and his wife are coming to visit us on Wed...so start crossing your fingers that this is just a social call...haha and we haven't had to talk in church yet...but I think I would faint if that happened...oh wait. Happened ALL the time in the 63rd ward...luckily we were all just students lol

Janice said...

you have such a great attitude about the whole thing. I'd be terrified, I like preparation! good for you, you're my hero:)