Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The History of Love

"Holding hands, for example,
is a way to remember how it feels to say nothing together."

I am in a book club.
This month we read:
I really liked it.
Its not mushy like it sounds. It tells a story of an "aching love" as I described it in book club tonight.
Your heart really does ache for Leo (the main character).
But I think it ends well,
and made me so happy to have my love.

Here are some more quotes from the book:

"Even now, all possible feelings do not yet exist, there are still those that lie beyond our capacity and our imagination. From time to time, when a piece of music no one has ever written or a painting no one has ever painted, or something else impossible to predict, fathom or yet describe takes place, a new feeling enters the world. And then, for the millionth time in the history of feeling, the heart surges and absorbs the impact."

"Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl,
and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering"

"Every year, the memories I have of my father become more faint, unclear, and distant. once they were vivid and true, then they became like photographs, and now they are more like photographs of photographs."

"Wittgenstein once wrote that when the eye sees something beautiful, the hand wants to draw it. I wish I could draw you."

"All the times I have suddenly realized that my parents are dead, even now, it still surprises me, to exist in the world while that which made me has ceased to exist"

There is some seriously beautiful writing in this book,
Nicole Krauss is very talented. READ IT!

Have you read it? What did you think?

No comments: