Saturday, February 6, 2010

mom.

My mom was all about classic rock.
I still remember most lyrics from Ted Nugent, Heart (she looooved Heart), Jimi Hendrix, Beatles, Janis Jolpin of course, really the list goes on. And on. She would actually quiz me when listening to the radio.

I clearly remember getting off the bus in 4th grade and hearing "cat scratch fever" blasting from our house. Knowing full well when opening the door, my mother who was completely bald at the time from radiation/chemo and had a swollen Prednisone face would be rocking out with an amazing air guitar solo. Some times with a broom even.

I do miss that.

Today officially, my mom has been in heaven longer in my life, than she was on Earth. Hard to really wrap my mind around that.

I think about her a lot, especially now that I have two kids. I can't imagine what it must of have been like, knowing you were going to leave this earth sooner than expected and having three little kids to leave behind.

But she was never angry with God. She knew it was all for a reason, that it would all work out. And she knew, like I know, that our family is forever.

She knew some day she would be able to meet my sweet husband, hug and kiss her grand kids, give me advice on parenting, give me advice on life in general really.
And she knew someday she would quiz me again, listening to the rock 101 radio station, song titles and artists.


7 comments:

Jake, Sara & Miley said...

I miss your mama too Rachel. She was an amazing woman. We spent quite a bit of time as kids when she was sick... we sure did have fun:)

Vashti said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us. She sounds like she was a really amazing person and she is lucky to have a daughter that honors her life!

Katie James said...

I know we weren't very close in WA but I just have to say, I LOVE YOU! You are a beautiful person.

Carly said...

Beautiful post, Rachel :) I think we have similar musical upbringings :)

Nana & Grandpa Toyk said...

Nice that you have such fond memories of your mother. Write more of them as you remember them Lily and Eden will love to hear and read them
Toyke

Laura and family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JD said...

Okay, this post made me cry, thanks a lot! I love to hear your thoughts on your mom. Once she passed away it was as if we (the ward family) were disconnected from you, Jen and Scott. I have always wondered what it was like for the three of you but never felt comfortable to ask. I think you three kids are so awesome and love ya like you were my own. Hugs, Janice Draper