Wednesday, October 20, 2010

you say donuts, I say doughnuts

I have had multiple questions about the doughnut recipe
we used for Eden's huge wild and crazy birthday bash.

The answer is: Betty Crocker. Not only Betty, but Betty from the seventies. The book was my mom's, and its extra special because her hand writing is in it and recipes that she liked are circled and little notes next to them. Love it.
Photobucket
The donuts we made are titled: "Favorite Doughnuts"- buttermilk variation.
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tbsp shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk

Heat oil 3 to 4 inches to 375 in a large pot/wok/pan.(we kept it at mediumish low the whole time, in two sauce pans:)) Measure 1 1/2 cups flour and the remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly (we did this all by hand though). Beat 2 minutes medium speed, scraping bowl constantly. Stir in remaining flour.

Turn dough onto well-floured cloth covered board (...our counter in our case) roll around lightly to coat with flour. Roll dough gently 3/8 thick (why Betty wasn't ok with 4/8=1/2 makes me laugh)[side note: chad added more flour as he went, cause it was a tad sticky] Cut with donut cutter (or a cup and a gatorade bottle lid).
With wide spatula, slide doughnuts into hot oil. Turn doughnuts as they rise to surface, fry 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown on both sides (ours cooked way faster than that!). Carefully remove from oil (with something slotted!). We let our cool a bit on a towel and then we sugared them up with glaze, powdered sugar and powdered sugar+cinnamon.

Glaze: 1 cup whipping cream and around 2 cups powdered sugar, I just kept adding more sugar until it was at a thickness I liked.
Photobucket
Enjoy my e-friend!:)

1 comment:

Holly said...

awesome. I'm pretty sure I had that same cookbook growing up and I always begged my mom to make those same donuts. Happy birthday Eden!