Sunday, December 12, 2010

there is sunshine on my skirt today

So you might say I'm spoiled.
I mentioned that I want a sewing machine...but lets be honest, it would take a heck of a long time for me to save up for one.  My Grandma Dolly (who you all owe, because of her I still have this blog:)) calls me up and says that I need one, and to get one and she'll send the cash for it.
I might have gotten teary-eyed.

Well my friends, I have been busy.
I made this skirt this morning before church and I am in love.
Its very imperfect, I didn't use a measuring tape or a pattern at all. But for a first I am proud. I am trying really hard to accomplish my goal of "seeing a dress I like and then making it". Plus it has pockets!

The fabric was just some old scraps given to me, the shoes from payless like three years ago, the JCrew shirt? $1.50 from Val Vil. Sometimes, being poor is fun.

13 comments:

Carly said...

love it girl!! this is what we're all about these days too... frugal but fabulous. :) haha

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

very cute, good job!

Miriam Lusk said...

I have skirt envy! So cute!

sarah said...

i love it! but i'm pretty sure any skirt would look adorable on you.

Shay said...

That skirt is adorable- LOVE yellow!

Shauna Amondson said...

So proud of you Rach!! That skirt is absolutely amazing. And without a pattern too? I would have never guessed. You are so good! I've been wanting a sewing machine too so maybe when I get one, you can teach me your ways :)

Diana Smith said...

Adorable! I love the color and the fit on you! Did you use a pattern? its really awesome

Diana Smith said...

haha just saw you didnt use a pattern wow im impressed!

Vashti said...

I can't believe you made that without a pattern! Rock on girl!

Bonnie and Tyler said...

You are absolutely amazing Rachel! I love it. and wish that I could pull off the cute clothes you wear... seriously you are adorable, and very inspiring as a young poor mom myself. I really look up to you :)

Tatiana said...

Love it! Seriously! I wish you used some type of pattern so I could copy. Very cute!

k said...

I am SO impressed, I love it! can I order one? haha!! You can get so creative with it to buy adding lace or anything really. How cool =)

k said...

P.S. Have you heard about..."p.s...i made this" - her book and blog? Um google it, it's amazing. I'm planning a blog about it too.