Friday, March 18, 2011

how

Remember that one post a while a while ago where I talked about a dream I had?
Well, I said I'd probably share that other one I had, and its been on my mind a lot lately. So might as well write about it right?
I woke up from this dream with my hands over my eyes.
In my dream I was in one of the twin towers on september 11th, 2001. It was so vivid. I watched people's reactions to what was happening, some were frantic and jumped. I saw one couple who's desks were next to each other, and their pictures from vacations. They held hands calmly with tears in their eyes and waited for their fate. (I am not saying I actually saw actual experiences, this was just my dream). It was a terrifying and very real dream. Because people really did go through that.

I woke up from that dream, rather emotional. 
WHY. Why did that have to happen? Why did God let that happen?

Slowly an answer entered into my mind. I don't need to focus on the WHY, because honestly, what difference does it make? Whatever happened still happened weather we know the reason or not, right?
Focus on how. How we can not only make it through something hard, but to find joy and peace.

A few days after my mom died and we had the funeral, a family-friend quietly handed me a wrapped large rectangle and walked away. Inside was that wrapping was the picture of Christ I have on my shelf. That picture of Christ holding a little girl, with his arms around her. Maybe that little girl was 11 like me, and her mom just died? Christ was there, holding her.

I think there is so much happening in the world right now that is confusing, and painful, and scary, and hard. Christ is the how. Christ is how we find peace. How we have joy again. No matter what happens, nothing is too big for Him to handle. Whether you are experiencing a loss, dealing with a spouse that has an addiction, infertility, divorce, unemployment, loneliness, He is the HOW. 

14 comments:

Celeste said...

Love. Thanks for sharing. This is why you are in my google reader. Great way to start my day.

Steph said...

I have only ever commented once way back when you announced you were moving to N.C. but thanks for posting this. Something I definitely needed to hear :) I love it when I have an uplifting start to my day!

Becca said...

such a great message to end my week! could not agree more with you, thank for that special reminder.

Candace said...

this was a beautiful post. thanks so much for sharing :)

Joe and Alice Waarvik said...

Oooh FANTASTIC post!

Juli said...

Thank you! I love your blog, and I echo your testinmony. He lives, and He is the How. Thank you for articulating it so perfectly!

Kim said...

Thanks Rachel! This post was so fitting and wonderful for today which is a trying day for two sets of family friends, each have a three old having very serious surgery today even at this moment one is having a brain tumor removed and the other is having another open heart surgery. I know prayers are heard and answered and miracles happen. Thanks for this great post which is such a great reminder of that, couldn't have come at a better time.

P.S. Sorry I've never commented before either I'm not much of a blogger but when I stop in I enjoy your blog. :)

Megan Marie said...

thank you. i swear i learn so much from my dreams... usually about the Savior or His plan for me. Even if the dreams don't really mean anything, they just make me think. thank you for sharing your heart.

k said...

Thanks for sharing these words, they were so calming and wonderful - I love your heart!

Brittney said...

I just came across your blog and...wow, thank you for sharing such a powerful message. It was just the reminder I needed today.

Janell said...

Beautiful Rachel. Thank you for this posting. Love you!

Andrea said...

Like others said, this is such a great message. I remember in one of your posts a few months ago (I think it was around Christmas), you had a similar message -- that no matter what happens the miracle of Christ is that everything can be okay. I had never thought of that before, and it gave me a new perspective on the Savior.

Miriam Lusk said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing.

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

thanks rach, what a great way to start my sunday!