Friday, February 4, 2011

sweater dress, the how-to!

Remember around Christmastime I made some sweater dresses for my girls?
Welp, I am finally doing a how-to. This one is slightly different, but thats just because it is a different sweater...With somewhat crappy pictures, lo siento.

first off, take your sweater, and turn it inside out.
 grab a dress or shirt that you know fits your kid, and use it as template for the shape/size you want. You want the neck of the sweater to be the neck to the dress, but since this V-neck is obviously way huge for Eden, I just focused on the front then stitched the back of the neck on later.
 here is what I traced, minus the sleeves. Please note how the cuff of the sweater sleeve is placed where the sleeve of the dress would be? That is because that cuff of the sweater sleeve, will be the dress sleeve...confusing?
 Now that we're all confused, pin, then cut, like this (nice and blurry, you're welcome):
 then you sew up to where you want the sleeves, leave that open. Then sew the top of the shoulder part, so if you wanted to make it a tank top, you would be done. Make sense?
 Then for the sleeves. Remember the dress and the sleeve cuffs are still inside out. I then pinned the cuff to the arm holes and sewed it. Looks like this when done and inside out:
 Then, I pinned the rest of the neck scrap to the back and sewed it on, so we now have complete neck, and once again, blurry:
 And finished product:
Don't feel odd if you want to squish her. 

8 comments:

April said...

Wow, good job with all your designs lately, I love them all. You are very talented.
A

Krista & Tyler said...

Rach - I cannot even believe that you just sew away, no qualms whatsoever! One day, I'm just going to do it! haha I'm loving it!

Jeremy Saunders said...

Yes, I do want to squish her, she's adorable! ANd you are talented! You should sell them!
mimi

amber york said...

I do want to squish her! And you did a great job on the dress. Super cute!

amber york said...

Haha I pretty much repeated mimi! So while I'm already doing it, I think you should sell them too!

seamsavvy said...

Your the bomb! love Teri

Shay said...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Amazing job! And yes, she is adorable!

Holly said...

I love....LOVE how creative & crafty you are with sewing! You inspire me, ONE day I will have the time to do that kind of stuff because I really want to make some things with my own hands like that! YOU ROCK GIRL...seriously!